What is using all this memory?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 7 22:24:52 UTC 2012

On 06/06/2012 04:16 AM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> and for a more enduser friendly overview:
>
> sudo apt-get install htop
>
> htop will actually show proper values of used RAM as an
> unexperienced enduser would expect to see it ...
>
> ciao
> 	oli

That works, and I like the ability to easily see the subthread PID's
plus the virtual memory as well. However I always have issues in how
many instances you can view at one time, forgetting to turn on 'tree',
etc. But what really bothers me about htop, is that when you quit, it
completely disappears - unlike 'top' where it remains printed in the
terminal window. It's probably a PEBCK issue, but do you know how I can
accomplish this?

With the other commands, you can always add the forest (f) etc for an
easier display:

$ ps axf -o rss,cmd --sort rss

> 1112 udevd --daemon
>  1104  \_ udevd --daemon
>  1108  \_ udevd --daemon
>  1216 /usr/lib/rtkit/rtkit-daemon
>  1220 rsyslogd -c4
>  1448 /usr/bin/vmware-usbarbitrator
>  1512 /sbin/wpa_supplicant -u -s
>  1680 avahi-daemon: running [gl.local]
>   440  \_ avahi-daemon: chroot helper

Maybe someone with some commandline fu could figure out how to get the
virtual memory added to the above... sort of like:

$ ps axvf

>  313 ?        S<s    0:00      0     0  2900  1112  0.0 udevd --daemon
>   718 ?        S<     0:00      0     0  2960  1104  0.0  \_ udevd --daemon
>   719 ?        S<     0:00      0     0  2960  1108  0.0  \_ udevd --daemon

Where 2900, 2960, and 2960 is the virtual memory used by the PIDs. And
output like: