Ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity and installing GNOME

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 19:50:10 UTC 2012

On 06/05/2012 08:59 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> On 06/05/2012 07:35 AM, Ryan Gauger wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok, I'll bite....
>>>
>>> (Note: I haven't tried the latest iteration of Unity. Apolgies if some
>>> of these issues have been addressed.)
>>>
>>> I don't personally like moving the application menus to the top of the
>>> screen. Admittedly, this is something I could just get used to, and
>>> 'would' have proven useability benefits to using the screen edge for
>>> infinite pointing space... I say "would" be cause any perceived
>>> theoretical benefit gets completely eliminated when the menu hides
>>> unless you move the mouse pointer to unveil it. I don't know what
>>> genius thought that would be a good idea, but it shows right there in
>>> two minutes exactly how little though to usability actually went into
>>> Unity.
>>>
>>> 2: I'm a compulsive multi-tasker who has grown used to having a dozen
>>> virtual desktops, several of them filled with several windows. A task
>>> bar/dock that doesn't keep my desktops separate is completely useless
>>> to me. It's bad enough that Docky hides the option and requires gconf
>>> editing to enable this basic function, but Unity eliminates it
>>> entirely. If I could opt out of using Unity task bar in favor of
>>> something else that worked better for my needs, (docky, AWN, and
>>> another whose name I forget,) that would be a non usse. But Unity,
>>> like Gnome Shell, forces itself to be all or nothing. Bad Unity.
>>>

>>> Those are the only 2 issues I ran into before giving up on Unity. #2
>>> especially is a complete showstopper.
>>>

>> I can answer one of your thoughts on this... Moving the app menus to the
>> top panel was done to provide more space for the app. This is part of
>> what creates a distraction-free area, especially for maximised apps. It
>> may not look like it, but if you really think about it, hiding the app
>> menu by default helps to create more space. We could not fit the menu on
>> the same panel as the title, window control buttons, and indicator
>> applets, so we thought that hiding them by default was a better way to
>> go than to throw them down under the top panel, as that would not make
>> any sense at all, and may confuse users more than the hidden menus. I
>> will bring up the idea for the option for more virtual desktops in the
>> Unity Design Team, as well as more ideas you had. Thanks!
>>
>> In Christ,
>> Ryan
>>

> This is not the first time I have seen the "give more space to the apps"
> argument for moving the menus to the top. To me it is not a compelling
> argument. I just measured and the menu bar takes up a whole 1/4 inch on
> my monitor. I would gladly give up that 1/4 to have menus where I expect
> to find them. I mean what is a 1/4 inch, one row on a spreadsheet.
>
> I'm with Rashkae on the multi-tasking issue. Again I would gladly give
> up another 1/4 of screen space for a comfortable way of keep track of
> what is happening on my desktop.

If you could set the menu bar to "auto-hide" then it's placement is a
moot point, when regarding "give more space to the apps". You could put
it anywhere you darn well please. You DO have to move your mouse pointer
to the very edge to get it to pop up again, but that is a small
inconvenience. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html