What is using all this memory?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 16:27:11 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Amedee Van Gasse
<amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be> wrote:
> Have you read http://www.linuxatemyram.com/ ?
> I see that a lot of caching is going on. This is actually good, this means
> that your memory is being used efficiently.
>
> OK, 25% of your swap is also used. But that can be for any number of reasons.
> Give the command "sudo swapoff" in a terminal and run "free -m" again.
> Typical modern desktop systems don't really need swap anyway for typical
> desktop usage like browsing, sending emails, playing Farmville... :)

Thank you, that page is very concise and informative. However, I
should mention that the system was extraordinarily sluggish, to the
point of being unusual. It felt like very heavy swapping or high CPU,
but the CPU usage was reportedly not very high. I should mention that
the mouse cursor was lagging as well, which looks more like a CPU
problem and less like a RAM problem.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il