Ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity and installing GNOME

Robert Spanjaard spamtrap at arumes.com
Wed Jun 6 14:19:14 UTC 2012

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 12:02:07 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

>> 2: I'm a compulsive multi-tasker who has grown used to having a dozen
>> virtual desktops, several of them filled with several windows.  A task
>> bar/dock that doesn't keep my desktops separate is completely useless
>> to me.
>
> I am a compulsive multi-tasker with multiple apps on multiple desktops.
> I find a taskbar that does not show me all my apps, no matter which
> desktop they're on, utterly unusable.
>
> No, seriously, I mean it. I merely throw this in to show you how one
> person's mileage varies. I can't stand to use a system which requires me
> to memorise which desktop an app is on, or hunt through them all for my
> app. I *need* them all in my task switcher - that is what it is *for*,
> after all - and the *OS* to remember which app is on which desktop and
> switch to the one I need.

In the old Gnome 2, and the current Xubuntu, you can get it both ways, by
simply (un)checking the option "show windows from all workspaces".

>> Those are the only 2 issues I ran into before giving up on Unity.  #2
>> especially is a complete showstopper.
>
> That's fine. It's clearly not the desktop for you (or, if you will
> forgive me a little teasing, you are not flexible enough to adapt to
> it!)

Exactly. Unity forces the user to adapt to it.
Other DE's are flexible enough to adapt to the user.

--
Regards, Robert                                      http://www.arumes.com