Ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity and installing GNOME

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Jun 5 03:44:48 UTC 2012

On 06/04/2012 08:04 AM, Ryan Gauger wrote:
> ent. I am on the Unity Design Team, and we have crafted the most
> beautiful desktop environment ever (haha, just kidding). It would be
> helpful if someone replied who hates Unity (or someone who knows why,
> but maybe doesn't hate it themselves), and told me why, so that I can
> give this information to the Unity Design Team. As I have said, I do
> *highly* recommend just getting used to Unity, like you got used to
> Ubuntu when you switched from Windows (I know not everyone did, but
> most people do not install another OS than the one that came
> pre-installed (most lik

Ok, I'll bite....

(Note: I haven't tried the latest iteration of Unity.  Apolgies if some
of these issues have been addressed.)

I don't personally like moving the application  menus to the top of the
screen.  Admittedly, this is something I could just get used to, and
'would' have proven useability benefits to using the screen edge for
infinite pointing space... I say "would" be cause any perceived
theoretical benefit gets completely eliminated when the menu hides
unless you move the mouse pointer to unveil it.  I don't know what
genius thought that would be a good idea, but it shows right there in
two minutes exactly how little though to usability actually went into Unity.

2: I'm a compulsive multi-tasker who has grown used to having a dozen
virtual desktops, several of them filled with several windows.  A task
bar/dock that doesn't keep my desktops separate is completely useless to
me.  It's bad enough that Docky hides the option and requires gconf
editing to enable this basic function, but Unity eliminates it entirely.
If I could opt out of using Unity task bar in favor of something else
that worked better for my needs, (docky, AWN, and another whose name I
forget,) that would be a non usse.  But Unity, like Gnome Shell, forces
itself to be all or nothing.  Bad Unity.

Those are the only 2 issues I ran into before giving up on Unity.  #2
especially is a complete showstopper.