was: ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity

Ryan Gauger rtgkid at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 13:37:20 UTC 2012

On 06/04/2012 07:52 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 4 June 2012 13:20, Ryan Gauger<rtgkid at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> "What's to get used to?" - Unity. It may not look like much to get used to
>> to you, but trust me, a person who is switching from Lucid to Persistant
>> will probably be completely shocked if he has not been following the Ubuntu
>> news.
> True, it is quite different - but very /very/ far from totally different.
>
>> The Unity desktop environment is not like any other
> Not true. It is very /very/ like Mac OS X.
>
> The sign of a true techie, a competent professional computer user, is
> that they know how to use more than one type of computer. The more,
> the better, up to a point. But today, any properly skilled computer
> user should know Windows, Mac OS X and at least one Unix, typically
> Linux.
That is not true. The average computer user does not even know
Ubuntu/Linux exists (unless they see one of the online ads, which appear
to only appear online on computers already running Ubuntu, must be a
flaw, or just me). If you know Macs at all, Unity should still take you
at least a few minutes to an hour to get used to. After all, Unity is
not OS X. But, it does have many features OS X has, like global menu and
launcher (which basically has the same functionality as the dock in OS
X). I also think the average computer user uses a Windows-based
computer, not a Mac. The average computer user doesn't install any other
operating system on their computer, and just uses the one that came
pre-installed on his PC. Unless you mean the properly skilled computer
user as a computer user who has had quite a bit of time figuring things
out and has downloaded Ubuntu. I agree with you then.