What is using all this memory?

Amedee Van Gasse amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Mon Jun 4 11:46:01 UTC 2012

On Sun, June 3, 2012 12:31, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> After logging into Kubuntu 12.04 64 bit and not starting any programs,
> almost all the computer's memory is taken, and the system is swapping:
>
>  - antares:~$ free
> Mem:       2050400    1947624     102776          0       5264     151796
> -/+ buffers/cache:    1790564     259836
> Swap:      2928636     749760    2178876
>
> Top does not show anything unusual. The user's home directory is not
> encrypted. I have disabled Akonadi and Nepomuk. What else should I
> check?

Have you read http://www.linuxatemyram.com/ ?
I see that a lot of caching is going on. This is actually good, this means
that your memory is being used efficiently.

OK, 25% of your swap is also used. But that can be for any number of reasons.
Give the command "sudo swapoff" in a terminal and run "free -m" again.
Typical modern desktop systems don't really need swap anyway for typical
desktop usage like browsing, sending emails, playing Farmville... :)

This email was sent using SquirrelMail.
   "Webmail for nuts!"
http://squirrelmail.org/