What is using all this memory?

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 12:46:02 UTC 2012

Hello Dotan

Below you summarise problems I have had too with respect to Kubuntu

After logging into Kubuntu 12.04 64 bit and not starting any programs,
> almost all the computer's memory is taken, and the system is swapping:

At a certain moment the system kept crashing several times per day as a
matter of consequence. My experience tells me in the mean time that in such
a situation, it's not useful anymore to keep improvising, tweeking,, etc. -
a fresh install is a better option in the longer run.

> Top does not show anything unusual. The user's home directory is not
> encrypted. I have disabled Akonadi and Nepomuk. What e ilse should I
> check?

Useful hints for a few other provisional measures you can find at this page:
Take such measures and in the mean time, backup all your data to 1 or 2
external HD's. Also take care of:

   - backing up all the data from your Firefox profile folder: bookmarks,
   extensions,  passwords, history, etc.;
   - generating and backing up a list of installed packages;

However, the best thing to do as soon as you have about 1-1,5 working day
available: as I said, simply carry out a fresh install  of Kubuntu 12.04
after carrying out the backup measures summarized above. After doing so,
you can:

   - get back your speciific configuration via this list of installed
   packages;
   - getting back your Firefox configuration by copying your profile backup
   to the Firefox profile folder.

Finally, one nasty detail with respect to the list of installed packages:
open it via Kate and look there for the package with name like
"ttf-mscorefonts" - the package for  "Microsoft" fonts like "Verdana". Take
that  package one out of the list - with a view to saving you from
troubles. It is better to install it separately via a graphical package
manager, like Muon or Synaptic. Reason: you need to indicate accepting
certain conditions.

If you have questions, do not hesitate to mail me.

Respectfully yours,

Bas Roufs

.--
====================