ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity and installing GNOME

Ryan Gauger rtgkid at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 22:03:52 UTC 2012

Unity is a shell for GNOME. The default Ubuntu installation allows you to
use Unity - although it does not come with a separate GNOME desktop
environment. GNOME Shell can be installed using the terminal - "sudo
apt-get install gnome-shell", without the quotations. Installing the
package GNOME Shell also installs the GNOME Classic (GNOME Fallback)
session. GNOME Classic is a lot like GNOME 2, but a lot less customisable.
You can select between these sessions (along with Unity) at login. Thanks!

In Christ,
Ryan

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Rajeev Prasad <rp.neuli at yahoo.com> wrote:

> ty Tom. I thought Unity is separate from GNOME (like KDE)

---Ryan