configuring unity launcher for 200+ users

Matt Johnson johnsonmlw at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 2 11:07:27 UTC 2012

On 2 Jun 2012, at 08:26, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 1 June 2012 22:54, Ryan Gauger <rtgkid at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 06/01/2012 12:58 PM, Matt Johnson wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We plan to upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04 in a 250 user UK Junior school. I'd
>>> like to put some popular, often-used programs on the launcher, as well as
>>> remove Ubuntu One, software centre, settings etc which won't be needed. In
>>> fact, the latter is more a priority than the former as I don't want
>>> irrelevant stuff cloggin up the launcher.
>>>

>>> How might we achieve that? I can't find a relevant directory or file that
>>> I could distribute across the users.
>>>
>>> Ta.
>>> --
>>> Matt
>>>

>> You have the ability to do this - through the terminal. You can run "sudo
>> apt-get remove package-name", where package-name is replaced with the name
>> of the package you are wanting to uninstall. I highly warn you about
>> removing System Settings. If it is not available, some parts of Unity may be
>> broken. For Instance, you may receive an error message after right-clicking
>> the desktop, and selecting "Change Desktop Background". Some other parts of
>> Unity may also be broken if you choose to remove System Settings. If you
>> mean you want to remove individual settings in System Settings, that is not
>> possible, because each part of System Settings is built around each other.
>

> I think we are mis-interpreting the question here.  As I read it he
> wants to remove the apps from the /launcher/ and add some other apps
> (also to the launcher), but he has 250 machines to do and doesn't want
> to do it by hand to all the machines.
>
> Colin

Much obliged for all answers. Ubuntu is great in schools. Our setup is very easy to maintain.

Colin,

Yes, thanks. That's pretty much what I need, though it's made easier as we use thin and fat clients by using ltsp. So, as you say, what I want to achieve is to roll out a unity launcher setup (with selected applications) to all 250 users (effectively on one machine). I imagine this might be achieved by setting up one template user and copying a directory or config file to all users as I do something similar with 10.04 desktop icons and other users settings currently.

So... Where is the user config for the unity 2d launcher please? Or another approach.

Thanks all.

--
Matt
Sent from my iPhone