No 1680x1050 for external monitor

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 04:12:45 UTC 2012

On 06/01/2012 06:05 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I just installed Kubuntu 12.04 on a neighbour's laptop computer with
> Intel graphics. He uses the computer with an external monitor attached
> as the laptop's builtin monitor is faulty and useless. Both the laptop
> internal monitor and the external monitor are of the same resolution:
> 1680x1050.
>
> When configuring the resolutions with the KDE graphical tool, there is
> an option for 1680x1050 for the laptop monitor, but for the external
> monitor the options only go up to about 1200x768. When connecting this
> monitor to my desktop to test (Kubuntu 11.10) the desktop sends it
> 1680x1050 with no problems. So why won't the Kubuntu 12.04 laptop send
> it that resolution? How can I fix this?

With nvidia, you use the included tool that configures the driver, not
the desktop app. The desktop app can only do with the driver allows it
to do (kinda like alsa and pulse) so maybe you can edit the driver
through whatever tool Intel provides for it's chipset, which would
include detection of display devices so it can be written out to
/etc/X11/xorg.conf ...if stock won't do.

I just did a google and I'm not finding anything on an intel chipset
tool for Ubuntu. Maybe someone can provide a link to one?? Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html