Ubuntu Classic in Ubuntu12.04

Ryan Gauger rtgkid at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 14:55:13 UTC 2012

On 06/01/2012 09:42 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 1 June 2012 15:35, Ryan Gauger<rtgkid at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Installing the package GNOME Shell
>> (sudo apt-get install gnome-shell) will install both GNOME 3 Shell and GNOME
>> 3 Classic, allowing you to choose between them (and of course, Unity also)
>> at login. Thanks!
> GNOME 3 in Fallback Mode - what the login screen calls "GNOME Classic"
> - is not the same thing as GNOME 2, of course. It's less customisable
> and it will disappear in future versions of GNOME 3.
>
>> In Christ,
> Um. Would you mind dropping the religious propaganda, please? Some of
> us find it unpleasant.

If you want the old GNOME 2 back, there is a desktop called Mate. It is
being used by Linux Mint, but can be installed in Ubuntu. It is a GNOME
2 fork. It is very stable, and the Mate team releases their own
upgrades/updates to Mate, but they will always keep it a fork of GNOME
2. It can be installed from the Mate repository, which I am sure you can
find online. Sorry if this is not what you wanted.

In Christ,
Ryan