New instalation, old distribution, antique machine

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 31 23:59:03 UTC 2012

On 2012/07/31 09:14 (GMT-0400) Dave Burrows composed:

> We've tried everything we know to do to upgrade Ubuntu (Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
> - the Dapper Drake) on this HP Omnibook without success.
[...]
> We use this machine exclusively to record sermons at our church with
> Audacity.

This begs the question whether there's any point in an upgrade. Is this
machine normally not connected to the internet? If not, there's no real risk
in keeping it as is. Even if so, maybe there's not enough connect time to
retain material risk that any security holes that may be open in Dapper would
be exploited. If Dapper can still do what needs doing, what's the point?

> I'm a total Linux novice beyond this machine.

Others have made reasonable suggestions, but left one significant one out. As
long as Linux is already installed and functional, and decent internet access
speed is available, both upgrade and new installation are possible by first
downloading only the installation kernel and initrd, booting them with Grub,
and installing directly from the internet via HTTP or FTP. This valuable
method works when PXE is not available, as well as when it is, and when
booting from floppy, CD, DVD or USB for whatever reason won't work. Only
what's actually needed gets downloaded this way, plus things not available on
conventional installation media.

> Does anyone have any ideas for a next direction?

If you asked around the congregation you might find someone less novice who
is willing to help if you can't succeed on your own. Barring that, you might
ask outside about non-members willing to do computer work gratis for
churches. If you're within reasonable driving distance of west central FL,
you can bring it to me and I'll do it, by temporarily installing your HD in a
different system if need be.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/