New instalation, old distribution, antique machine

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 18:52:38 UTC 2012

On 31 July 2012 14:14, Dave Burrows <dave.burrows at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We've tried everything we know to do to upgrade Ubuntu (Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
> - the Dapper Drake) on this HP Omnibook without success.

What is its approximate specification?

> 2. From CD - seems CD-ROM isn't functioning; dusted w/ canned air. Same
> results.
>
>         Unable to mount the selected volume.
>                 >show more details
>                 mount: no medium found

Can it read any media at all?

Is it bootable in the BIOS settings?

> 3. from USB Flash Drive
>
>         a. No support in BIOS for booting from USB drive.

If it can read a tiny CD - 512KB - or has a floppy drive, you can use
PLoP to enable booting from USB:
http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/index.html

Do you know if it has USB 1 or 2? Do the ports work?

>         b. File Browser --> root --> wubi.exe
>
>                 Could not open 'wubi.exe'
>                 The package might be corrupted, or you are not allowed
>                 to open the file. Check the permissions of the file.

WUBI only runs on Windows.

> One option is to try to borrow an external CD-ROM, but installing it may
> prove difficult.

A USB one might work but if you can boot PLoP then a memory key will be cheaper.

> A third might be to figure out a way
> for this old distribution to look for something newer than 8.04 on the
> server; is that even possible?

No, if you were to go LTS-to-LTS, then you'd have to go:

6.06 → 8.04 → 10.04 → 12.04

But frankly a pre-2006 PC won't run 12.04 well. It's too much for my
2004 IBM Thinkpad; I've dropped down to Lubuntu, which your machine
could probably cope with.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884