fstab and mounting filesystems in 12.04

Linda haniganwork at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 31 16:15:02 UTC 2012

On 07/31/2012 10:20 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 30 July 2012 21:50, Linda <haniganwork at earthlink.net> wrote:
>> I have a fstab entry in 12.04 LTS
>>
>> ip-address:/filename    mountpoint    nfs noauto,users,rw,hard,intr
>>
>> Having this entry in the previous LTS version would allow any user to mount
>> the network file system, however when a user tries to mount the file system
>> with 12.04 they receive an error message telling them they must be root to
>> mount the file system.
>> I checked the fstab man pages and it looked like users should be user so I
>> changed this and rebooted but a regular user still can't mount the file
>> system. Does anyone know what I need to change to get this working with
>> 12.04. I really would like normal users to be able to mount and umount the
>> nfs file systems.
> What is the command the user is using to mount the fs, and exactly
> what is the error message?  Ideally copy/paste from terminal.
>
> Colin

The command is actually a bash script that normal users call
from a menu.  Here is the line from  the file

mount 192.168.1.19:/usr/local/lib/letters /usr/local/letters

When  I run it as a normal user in 12.04 I get
mount: only root can do that.

The script file works fine for sudo  and it works fine for
regular users on the 10.04 LTS machines   I want all of my
users to be able to mount nfs filesystems and I do not want
them to have admin privileges which is why I have the fstab
entry which has worked perfectly for all previous versions

Linda