Accessing Usenet News Groups

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Jul 31 14:12:11 UTC 2012

On 24/07/12 05:12, GaryT wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 19/07/12 00:08, GaryT wrote:
>>> Am I behind the times?  Or am I missing something?
>>> Maybe both...  :-)
>
>> Well... how can one put this diplomatically without sounding harsh :-) .
>> The current official release of Thunderbird is 13.0.1......... :-) .
>
> The TB publishers must release a new version more often than we change
> Prime Ministers!   v13 is extraordinary.  I built this machine in about
> 2008 and yes, time goes fast, and yes, I don't come inside very often
> these days, but from v2.0 to v13.0 in just 4 years is incredible.

The numbering system of both Thunderbird and Firefox is purely a
marketing ploy to satisfy those who consider that a larger version
number is so much better and at "the bleeding edge". It is the same
thing as "keeping up with the Jones': some other mail client or browser
comes out with a high version number therefore TB and FF must also give
their next upgrade as high a number or higher and this keeps the punters
interested in using TB and/or FF :-) . If, say, Chrome, started
numbering from 100 next week I will bet that the next FF version will be
101.0 :-) .

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.8.4 & kernel 3.5.0-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor