I reboot Ubuntu 5x a week

Steven Davies-Morris sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Mon Jul 30 16:48:57 UTC 2012

On 07/23/2012 03:52 AM, oxy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> ubuntu/Unity freezes and I have to press the reset button
> several times a week.  (ubu 12.04)
>
> Ctrl+Alt+F1 doesnt work most of the times.
> Not related to a specific program.
> Nothing found in syslog/messages ...
> It seems that ubuntu window system has severe
> stability problems.
>
> Now, a general question: does anybody have any idea
> if they intend to improve stability or the focus is somewhere
> else?
>
> Does your Ubu/unity freeze regularly as well?
> What is the future of ubuntu regarding stability?
>
> I use Ubu daily at work, but am considering migrating
> to another system. Dont need a fancy window system
> but a stable one.
>
> I wish they'd go back to gnome!
>
> thxs for any comment ...
> PS: my intention here is to have a general discussion
> about ubu stability, not to solve my present problem.

I had the same problem until I replaced my motherboard several months
ago. In addition the machine would spontaneously reboot. Since then
absolutely no stability issues with either Ubuntu 11.10 or 12.04. The
only time it has been rebooted was when a kernel upgrade required it.
--
SDM a 21st century schizoid man in SoCal
Systems Theory website www.systemstheory.net