Precise faults

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 03:07:38 UTC 2012

On 07/29/2012 07:48 PM, Roger wrote:
> We use Precise here at home on desktop and laptop.
> Desktop has 2 gig ram, is 2 years old, laptop new Toshiba, 8 gig ram.
> We are finding that the system slowing and faulting more frequently
> since the last 3 Precise kernel updates. I am wondering if there is a
> kernel fault.
> As an aside, I have noticed that after the latest kernel update in
> Fedora 16 it too stops more frequently.
>
> The screen goes dull, nothing works, can't use mouse or keyboard for
> minute or so then all good for a while, until the next fault.
> It happens with Firefox, Gimp, Libreoffice, Inkscape.
> There's nothing I can find in /var/log and top just shows the delay time.
> I have run apt-get autoclean.
>
> It is quite frustrating for me working on a remote server with Drupal 7
> and the system stops mid sentence for a minute or 90 seconds as I am
> modifying a field. Sometimes I just have to reboot to get the machine
> running again. This does not happen with Fedora 16 on the same pc. So it
> seems to be a Ubuntu issue in this instance.

I too remote admin a Drupal site. It's firefox that is a piece of crap
lately, not your OS. I installed Wordpress to a box on my localnet, so
the connect speed is about as good as it gets. Yet, using Firefox it
will stall at times when I am in the Wordpress admin pages doing
editing. Same behavior when I'm Vtiger.

So, I open Chrome and have no stall outs. I think Firefox is doing
something with regards to caching. I have 16 gigs of memory, yet it
seems to swap and stall. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html