Problem using keyboard with GRUB

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Jul 28 11:05:50 UTC 2012

On Saturday 28 July 2012 07:01:09 Jeffery Small did opine:

> I have an ASUS U56E notebook set up for dual boot with Windows 7 and
> Xubuntu 12.04, using the GRUB version 1.99 boot loader.  I just took the
> system in for hardware repair and the motherboard was replaced.
>
> I have an external USB mouse and keyboard attached to the system which
> work fine in both OSes.  Prior to the repair the keyboard was
> recognized by GRUB and allowed me to make selections using the arrow
> and Return keys.  After the repair, GRUB no longer recognizes the
> external keyboard, although the native keyboard on the notebook does
> work.
>
> Does anyone know if there is some GRUB configuration setting I can make
> to get the external keyboard recognized once again?  Thanks for any
> pointers you can offer.

My first guess would be that some switch in the bios was reset when the new
motherboard went in.  That, and making sure that this "new" motherboard has
the latest bios by checking its version on the makers bios site page.
Particularly suspect if you can recall updating it on the original board.

> Regards,
> --
> Jeffery Small

Cheers, Gene