OK, where's our talking apps??

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 19:09:09 UTC 2012

On 07/25/2012 05:21 PM, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:

> On Wed, July 25, 2012 00:29, Ric Moore wrote:
>> On 07/24/2012 05:34 AM, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
>>
>> <snippage>
>>
>>> I'm sorry Ric, but speech technology is actually *very* hard and what
>>> you
>>> now know as Siri is the result of over 20 years of research in
>>> artificial
>>> intelligence, originally intended as a military project for a smart
>>> soldier's assistant. And most of the technology is really not open
>>> source
>>> and heavy encumbered by patents.
>>>

>>> But did you have a technical support question or did you just want to
>>> rant? ;-)
>>
>> Both! If SIRI can run on a stinkin' cell phone, is there something in
>> the works for us?? Again, the Unity scheme seems to be made for it's
>> usage and I keep expecting to see it happen. It's just lacking it.
>>
>> Funny thing that if the taxpayers paid for it's initial development, I
>> would like to think that either we get paid back from the profits on it,
>> or it become open source.
>
> I live in Belgium, so it didn't come out of my taxes, but L&H tech was
> from Belgium and afaik independent from SRI/Nuance/... until the stocks
> got inflated and then they went bankrupt.
>
>> I know, I really don't live in this world. I'll go and check out Iris to
>> see what is what. This is just a general shout-out to see if anyone
>> knows if anything like it is coming down the pike. Ubuntu would become
>> really kEwL over night. :) Ric
>
> Agreed but it is not a technical question. Some would say that there other
> places that are better suited to voice your opinion. ;-)

As I mentioned, it was a "shout-out" to the list ~asking~
So, I found this:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/vedics/
...which is a still in beta project by two college students that just
about almost works. It won't work with XFCE that I can tell. It works
with the gnome desktop. Java must be installed. I ran it directly from a
terminal so I could see what it was doing. Microphone must be
operational. It kinda hit and missed on my voice commands. I hardly got
it doing much of anything. But, it almost did! Plus, the last update was
about a year ago. Still, it shows promise!! I hope they get back to
developing this or someone pick it up. There are youtube videos showing
it working just fine on 10.4  just search on 'vedics linux'.  Pretty
darn neat. Now, if it would talk back. Ric
http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html