xsane can't see my scanner unless I'm root

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Jul 26 17:17:20 UTC 2012

On Thursday 26 July 2012 13:09:03 Paul Smith did opine:

> On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 08:37 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Now you get a list of all sorts of packages, releases, etc. with the
> > > name "xsane".  This is the tricky part.  The one you want is usually
> > > named something like "<pkg> package in Ubuntu".  Click on that.
> >
> > I did, was advised no bugs were filed against it.  I closed  the tab.
>
> I'm confused by your experience. When I search for "xsane" I get these
> results:
>
> https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=xsane
>
> The first item in the list is the xsane in ubuntu item, clicking it
> gives you this page:
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xsane
>
> which shows 96 new bugs and 2 open questions.  To the right is a box
> titled "Get Involved" and below that are two links, one for "Report a
> Bug" and one for "Ask a Question".
>
> Do you not see these?

For xsane, the front end.  But I was searching for the 'sane' when I got
the above response, the backends, since one of my scanners, an elderly
epson 1250u was showing up ok when I was the user.  The decade newer NX515
was what was being hidden to the user.

> Also you mentioned you were automatically logged out after 5 minutes; I
> went to the page and I was still logged in from a very long time ago.
> Maybe there's a preference.

Possibly a nilmerg, it was a good 15 minutes after I closed that tab in FF
that I ran ubuntu-bug, filled in a couple blanks and clicked submit.

Someone said if I wasn't logged in I should have gotten the logion screen
at that point.

But it went straight through.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
When all other means of communication fail, try words.