xsane can't see my scanner unless I'm root

C de-Avillez hggdh2 at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 26 12:41:40 UTC 2012

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 13:18:36 +0100
Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > There are probably seven other ways to do it, with at least 4
> > simpler than this.  But, it works for me.
>
> I think using ubuntu-bug is generally much simpler.

In fact, ubuntu-bug is the *preferred* way to open bugs -- and it is
pretty much guaranteed to open a bug against an Ubuntu package.

The only drawback is one might still need to know the package name. For
that, 'apt-file' is a nice help (sudo apt-get install apt-file, then
read the man page, and try some).

Repeating: we do not want people (even us) directly opening bugs on LP
if at all possible. Preference is to use ubuntu-bug (which more and
more collects additional data to help bug work).

The OP case would work perfectly with 'ubuntu-bug', and guarantee the
minimum data on the bug (for example, Ubuntu version).

Cheers,

..C..