Connection sharing with 3G modem, *very* weird problem. Subsequent despair.

Tobia Tesan tobia.tesan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 08:34:14 UTC 2012

Hello everybody, I have a problem that's driving me insane.

I have a Thinkpad with 12.04 (hereafter, t-rex) and an iBook with OS X
10.4.11, freshly installed (hereafter, persephone).

I'm trying to share t-rex's internet connection, achieved via 3G USB
modem, with persephone.
I did the usual "new wired connection -> ipv4 -> shared with other
computers" dance on t-rex, connected the two with a ethernet cable and
expected it to work.

Little did I know, persephone obtains an IP, can ssh to t-rex, can ping
t-rex and various external servers, can dig, can send and receive mail,
albeit *very* slowly, but *cannot* browse with Safari nor curl, unless
it is very short responses (301 redirect and stuff like that).

I tried toying around with the MTA (1400, then 700) with no result.

The interesting bit is that if I remove the 3G modem and tether t-rex to
my cellphone instead, everything works fine, so I'm assuming the problem
is between the ethernet cable and the modem (and in fact both laptops
work just fine when connected to the office's LAN).

Any hints please?

Thanks a lot.

--
Tobia Tesan