MATE Desktop

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 22:48:51 UTC 2012

On 25 July 2012 22:43, Graham Todd <grahamtodd2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 15:22:33 +0100
> Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When you install Ubuntu, it does not ask you what desktop you want. By
>> comparison, other distribution, such as SUSE, Mandriva or Debian, do.
>>
>> Only 1 desktop comes on the Ubuntu CD. Others must be downloaded &
>> installed. The same is true of all the remixes, too.
>
> Thanks Liam for that.
>
> I just wondered if Ubuntu was going to offer MATE as an option, as I
> think Canonical has done itself a disservice with introducing Gnome
> 3.

Um. It hasn't. It's built its own, different desktop rather than use
GNOME Shell.

> I accept that development of software cannot stand still but I still
> find difficulty in using Unity,

I'm sorry to hear that.

> and I thought I'd read somewhere that
> the Gnome Classic desktop wouldn't be available in future.

True. A new software rendering system means that both GNOME 3 fallback
mode /and/ Unity-2D are going away.

> Anyway, no matter how MATE should be spelt and pronounced, we Brits
> (who use Linux) will no doubt call it Mate (as in friend).  I don't
> think it much matters as long as we all know to which desktop we refer.
> After all most of us refer to our OS as Line-ux instead of Lin-ux, so I
> cannot see why all this heat over the final E in MATE being accented,
> is relevant, certainly in the English-speaking world.

Well, you might be right, but if so, I will correct them, same as I do
/in re/ Linux.

It's "guh-nome" not "nome", "lynn-ucks" not "line-ucks", and "mar-tay"
not "mayt", and it always will be. :-)

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884