[OT] Re: MATE Desktop

Patrick Asselman iceblink at seti.nl
Wed Jul 25 07:39:43 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-25 02:43, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/24/2012 08:01 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> AFAIK "MATE" doesn't stand for anything - it's not a backronym - and
>> he's explicitly said it's named after the tea, so I think Maté is
>> the
>> least-confusing, most-helpful spelling.
>>

> He?
>
> I'll repeat:
> ====
>
> <http://matsusoft.com.ar/projects/mate/>
>
> He spells it "MATE" (notice it is all caps) And I reckon that
> Perberos
> knows how to type an e-acute... "Y las instrucciones para construir
> están en el Wiki de mate-desktop.org (inglés)".
>
> ====
>
> But I think we've spent enough time on this. Perhaps you can send
> Perberos an email and ask him directly & blog about it somewhere
> else.
>
> AFAIC this subject is like trying to help a list moderator with his
> website...

His point is that the pronounciation has a "stressed vowel" on the last
E. This does not require an acute accent in Spanish. But to avoid
English speakers mispronouncing the word, it would be good to add the
acute accent in English texts. So you are both right: there is not to be
an acute accent formally, but the pronounciation is such that the acute
accent would be beneficial in English texts.

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman