I reboot Ubuntu 5x a week

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 11:13:21 UTC 2012

On 23 July 2012 11:52, oxy <oxyopes at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> ubuntu/Unity freezes and I have to press the reset button
> several times a week.  (ubu 12.04)

Almost certainly a hardware issue.

> Ctrl+Alt+F1 doesnt work most of the times.
> Not related to a specific program.
> Nothing found in syslog/messages ...
> It seems that ubuntu window system has severe
> stability problems.

What video chipset does your machine use?

> Does your Ubu/unity freeze regularly as well?

Nope. I don't recall the last time either my laptop, my notepad or my
main desktop PC locked up in Ubuntu. Mind you, none of them have any
issues under windows either.

> What is the future of ubuntu regarding stability?

I'd be looking at your hardware first Oxy.

> I use Ubu daily at work, but am considering migrating
> to another system. Dont need a fancy window system
> but a stable one.

So if you're having problems with Gnome and you think it's software
related, change to KDE or one of the alternatives and see if the issue
still persists...

> I wish they'd go back to gnome!

Gnome 2, I presume you mean. The one without any future support...

> PS: my intention here is to have a general discussion
> about ubu stability, not to solve my present problem.

Well, this is a technical list - it's more likely you're going to get
people wanting to discuss the technical issue you're having rather
than a generic stability issue.

--
Steve