MATE Desktop

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 13:41:52 UTC 2012

On 22 July 2012 08:00, Mika Suomalainen <mika.henrik.mainio at hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 22.07.2012 04:20, Ryan Gauger wrote:
>> Luckily, you can use those characters with iOS. I just haven't been
>> because I didn't know the e was accented. Thanks for the
>> information, Liam!
>
> I wonder where did this info come from. I cannot see MATE with
> accented e anywhere in http://mate-desktop.org/ .

More reading is needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)

Quote:
«
Mate (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈmate], Portuguese pronunciation:
['matʃi]; sometimes also spelled Maté)
»

> Also if it comes from tea instead of friend, how do you explain text
> of photo at http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/ .

[Sigh]

Again, do a bit more reading.
>From http://mate-desktop.org/about/

«
Where does the name come from?

The name “MATE” comes from yerba maté, a species of holly native to
subtropical South America. Its leaves contain caffeine and are used to
make infusions and a beverage called mate.
»

As for why they use MATE instead of MATÉ, this might be the reason:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071029042936AARnbuS

Also see:
http://french.about.com/library/writing/bl-capitalization3.htm

Quote:
«
 there are two instances where you should always use accents on capital letters:

When the accent or lack thereof distinguishes between two words.
»

In Spanish, a terminal E is voiced anyway. "Mate" is pronounced mah-TAY.

The only use of the acute accent - ´ - is to highlight the syllable
where the stress falls: e.g. concepción. Normally in Spanish the 2nd
syllable is stressed; the acute indicates that it falls elsewhere.

The e on the end of mate /is/ the 2nd syllable, so the acute accent is
redundant & often omitted.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89#Spanish

Not so in English where a syllable-terminal e merely serves to
lengthen the preceding vowel:

mat = "MAH-t" -> mate = "MAY-t"

The lead developer on the Maté desktop is Argentinian & thus a native
hispanophone.

/Quod erat demonstrandum./

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884