Accessing Usenet News Groups

AV3 arvimide at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 22 02:47:01 UTC 2012

On Jul/21/2012 3:5859 PM, Robert Holtzm wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 10:41:51AM -0400, AV3 wrote:
>
>           ........snip........
>>

>> In a well-moderated newsgroup a moderator maintains minimally polite
>> relevance. Recently in one such newsgroup, an arrogant teenager
>> making snide comments and announcing himself a member of the
>> development group was publicly reproached and probably privately
>> told to restrict his comments and claims, because his subsequent
>> contributions were fewer and quite modest. Hopefully, moderation
>> will make him a better adult.
>>

>> Often a moderator will announce the closing of a thread that has
>> become irrelevant to the group description by off-topic or impolite
>> discussion. The moderator(s) performs a difficult and time-consuming
>> task out of loyalty to the group and topic.
>
> What you're referring to are mailing lists, not newsgroups. You're
> reading the lists on gmane using T'bird in NNTP mode. The tip off should
> be the address you sent your post to: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com.
>                                                     ^^^^^

Pardon my ignorance. I thought message groups exchanged messages by
e-mail. To access those messages I subscribe to message groups run by
organizations and interest groups I belong to. I was a moderator for one
such Yahoogroup. Various groups send me contributions to the group or
summaries, as I request.

The full name for my access to gmane is news.gmane.org, and I access it
through T-bird newsgroups. Its messages are only to be read by news
applications like T-bird and MT-Newswatcher on my Mac. That is true for
a number of nntp and news lists I subscribe to. There is an iPad
application, too, but I am only experimenting with using it. I think
there is a gmane-message-group, but I have had no occasion to visit
gmane's web page, if there is one.

Both species of messages can be accessed by browser on-line in archives.
I believe that is an alternative way of participating, certainly for
Yahoogroups. Browser reading and posting merges the two species.

> BTW, I well remember the obnoxious adolescent you mentioned. Don't
> remember what list he polluted but he was roasted in short order. His
> posts became a lot more acceptable thereafter.

I was being coy. This was the list, and it was my way of thanking the
hard-working, self-sacrificing moderator(s) concerned.

--
||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., <arvimideQ at Wearthlink.net>    ||