I want to make thumbnails of my videos

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 15:26:07 UTC 2012

2012/7/20 Rashkae <ubuntu at tigershaunt.com>:
> On 07/20/2012 11:05 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>
>> I have a hobby website with some videos from my camera and phones, as
>> well as photos from both.  I've figured out how to use ImageMagick's
>> convert(1) to script the creation of thumbnails en masse, and would
>> like to automate the task for  videos too.  I have mostly AVI and MP4
>> formats.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

> Gnome 2 uses totem-video-thumbnailer,  you can also try the
> ffmpegthumbnailer package.

I didn't know about the ffmpegthumbnailer, otherwise I would have suggested it.

Installation:
sudo apt-get install ffmpegthumbnailer

Its man page:
FFMPEGTHUMBNAILER(1)

FFMPEGTHUMBNAILER(1)

NAME
       ffmpegthumbnailer - fast and lightweight video thumbnailer

SYNOPSIS
       ffmpegthumbnailer [options]

DESCRIPTION
       Ffmpegthumbnailer is a lightweight video thumbnailer that can
be used by file managers to create thumbnails for your video files.
The thumbnailer
       uses ffmpeg to decode frames from the video files, so supported
videoformats depend on the configuration flags of ffmpeg.

OPTIONS
       -i<s>  : input file

       -o<s>  : output file

       -s<n>  : thumbnail size (use 0 for original size) (default: 128)

       -q<n>  : image quality (0 = bad, 10 = best) (default: 8) (only for jpeg)

       -c<s>  : override image format (jpeg or png) (default:
determined by filename)

       -t<n|s>
              : time to seek to (percentage or absolute time hh:mm:ss)
(default: 10%)

       -a     : ignore aspect ratio and generate square thumbnail

       -f     : create a movie strip overlay

       -h     : display this help

AUTHOR
       Written by Dirk Vanden Boer.

REPORTING BUGS
       Report bugs to <http://code.google.com/p/ffmpegthumbnailer/issues/list>

COPYRIGHT
       Copyright © 2008 Dirk Vanden Boer <dirk.vdb at gmail.com>
       This is free software.  You may  redistribute  copies  of  it
under  the  terms  of  the  GNU  General  Public  License  (version  2
 or  later)
       <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.  There is NO WARRANTY,
to the extent permitted by law.

FFMPEGTHUMBNAILER(1)

Seems quite a bit easier to use than just ffmpeg in this aspect.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ