Mouse not working when ubuntu boots

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 18 07:23:16 UTC 2012

On 18/07/12 12:33, Hazan Pérez wrote:
> El mar 17 jul 2012 14:43:35 COT, Colin Law escribió:

>>> I open firefox using keyboard shortcuts: open unity's dash, then
>>> type "fire"
>>> for firefox and then enter.
>>>
>>> I did the log out and log in again after the mouse worked, so it was
>>> the the
>>> menu on the top right corner.
>>>
>>> I recently realized that it starts working after I open Thunderbirdt,
>>> probably after I open any program the mouse works. Or maybe I just
>>> need to
>>> give it some time after I log in to make it work.
>>
>> It is fairly crucial to determine whether this is the case (just
>> waiting).  Presumably by now you know the answer.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> hmmm, you're right. I have to wait around a minute after booting
> Ubuntu so that the mouse responds and works as it should. I rebooted
> and waited before logging into any of the user accounts in this pc.

OK, it appears to me from what you have described so far is that your
system (about which you have no mention) is a bit slow [***] and the
reason why the mouse is not working is that the system is still in its
"start up
  stage and therefore is not ready to receive commands/input. I have the
same with one of my comuters where I have to wait until the HDD activity
has stopped (meaning that the system has started all the necessary
system files) before doing anything.

[***] By this I mean that either the cpu is slow and/or you do not have
sufficient RAM installed. There are other considerations as well but
these will do for the moment.)

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.8.4 & kernel 3.4.4.2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor