Mate menus

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 17:22:50 UTC 2012

On 16 July 2012 17:38, R Kimber <richardkimber at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:20:36 -0700
> Pongo A. Pan wrote:
>
>> Or just use Linux Mint Mate, which was engineered with mate from the
>> ground up.  R. Kimber doesn't say what his objection to Mint was after
>> he "experimented" with it.  Mint is very close to Ubuntu: if you don't
>> like one, you'll probably not like the other.  L-M Mate looks to me an
>> awful lot like L-M 8 or 9, i.e. Ubuntu of the same vintage with green
>> and silver decorations.  If Gnome 2 is what you want...
>
> The main objection was that Mint recommended a full install with each 6
> monthly upgrade.  But I also had some other issues (e.g. with drivers) that
> I don't have with Ubuntu.

That is a good point. You /can/ upgrade but it is a pain & not supported.

Re drivers, I have seen issues but they can be overcome, IME, by lying
to the installer and telling it that it's on Ubuntu. This works with,
e.g., HP-LIP, but I have had success with Epson, Canon, webcams &
more.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884