Thunderbird does not ask for password when sending second mail !!!

Preston Hagar prestonh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 15:48:19 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 1:49 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 13/07/12 18:15, Lucas.Betschart at crypto.ch wrote:
>> I think this could be the solution for your problem:
>>
>> Go to:
>>
>> Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Config-Editor->Confirm
>> Enter "password" in search and set "security.password_lifetime" value to 0.
>
> Now, this is most interesting! Thanks for this - I didn't know about this.
>
> However, what does the default value of "30" represents? 30 minutes
> (cannot be as I have TB running all day) or is it 30 days or 30 years?
> Any ideas, Lucas?
>
> (I haven't altered this value, BTW, as I have my system security well
> under control :-) .)
>
> BC

That value controls the "Master Password"   If you don't have a master
password setup (Edit->Preferences->Security->Passwords), then this
value doesn't do anything.  If you do have a master password set, the
password_lifetime value is only useful if you have security.
ask_for_password set = 2 in about:config

If you set things like that though, it actually would/should pretty
much just continually ask you for your master password no matter what
you are doing, not just when you send.

Here are more details about those about:config options:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries#Security