stop updating resolv.conf on DHCP

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jul 13 11:47:46 UTC 2012

On Friday 13 July 2012 07:42:12 Karl Auer did opine:

> On Fri, 2012-07-13 at 07:06 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I had that sort of a problem once, but took the brute force approach
> > to solving it.  Once I had resolv.conf to my liking, I did a "chmod
> > +i resolv.conf" as root.  My laptops dhcp client didn't complain
> > because it couldn't write to resolv.conf.  But that also means I keep
> > a backup copy because when I take the lappy someplace else, it does
> > need to be writable.
>
> Are you sure? My version of chmod (Ubuntu Maverick) doesn't understand
> "+i".

My bad, beat me and make me drink another cup of leftover cold coffee.  And
thats what I get for thinking _I_ can think before the 3rd cup of coffee.
:(

Dammit, old age isn't for wimps.

The command is chattr, change attributes.  The +i make the file immutable,
and AFAIK, only root can execute it.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Confucius say too much.