Thunderbird does not ask for password when sending second mail !!!

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Fri Jul 13 10:21:39 UTC 2012

Hi!

On 13/07/2012 12:13, Jkhatri wrote:
> On 07/13/2012 03:35 PM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
>> Hi!

>> "0" means infinite. Never times out. Try "1".
>>
>> Gilles
> I've also tried ... security.ask_for_password  ,, original value was 0
> ..I've tested it with 1 ( after changing the value ... I've closed the
> TB and re-launched it )
>
> but the situation is the same ...

Well, have a look at : http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries
and search for ask_for_password.

The description is :

Determines when Mozilla Mail should ask for the master password.
*0* (default): Only the first time it's needed
*1*: Every time it's needed
*2*: Every /n/ minutes, where /n/ is the value in
*security.password_lifetime*.

This means that :

1) This parameter only applies for the MASTER PASWORD.
2) The value is 0, 1 or 2. And if you want to specify a number of
minutes, you also have to edit security.password_lifetime

Note the "MASTER PASSWORD" thing. Have you set a master password to
protect your account passwords? Then you tell it to ask for the master
password "every time it's needed" (value : 1) or "every N minutes"
(value : 2, then set security.password_lifetime).

But you have to set a master password. And you will be prompted for the
master password. Not for the account password. But that's more or less
equivalent in terms of security.

Gilles.