Thunderbird does not ask for password when sending second mail !!!

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Fri Jul 13 07:40:37 UTC 2012

Hi!

On 13/07/2012 09:27, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 13/07/12 15:37, Jkhatri wrote:

>>> (I know that I just should not get involved in this, but being a
>>> student of how to resolve problems asked by some people - I cannot
>>> resist...)
>>>
>>> Jatin, why EXACTLY are you asking this question?
>> Security issue ...   suppose you are not in front of your laptop
>> after receiving your mail, say you gone out for some time ...
>> meanwhile someone comes and send a Email from your TB with a doc. as
>> attachment ...which you do not want to share with orhters.... what
>> you can do after mail is already sent ???????.....
>
> So, THIS is your real concern - security when you decided to leave
> your computer/laptop for a few minutes to go to the toilet of have a
> cigarette or get a cup of tea, right?

Surprise surprise...

> I have already answered this question when I responded to what Gilles
> wrote: LOCK SCREEN when you want to leave your computer. It takes just
> 2 simple clicks of the mouse to achieve this.

And to circumvent. This is why "sudo" implements a password timeout
mecanism... as I posted in the answer you mention. This is a sensible
way to procede... as I mentionned too.

> I think that you need to explain why you are so concerned about this.
> Knowing the real reasons for your concern is most important in helping
> you with your concern.

Because (I'm guessing, applying security common sense) that 2 measures
(lock screen with timeout trigger and password timeout on TBird) is
better than just one. That's part of a defense in depth strategy,
something very common when talking security. I'm sure you're aware of that.

> WHY are you so worried about someone using your computer/laptop to
> post some message, and with attachment, while you may step away from
> your computer/laptop?

Because of :

1) Theft of documents (work context)
2) Theft of identity (any context)
3) Misuse of documents (work, medical)
4) Mischief (any context)

I could list more, but I'm sure you get the drift...

> What I wrote about LOCKING SCREEN is more than enough to satisfy your
> concern as the way you described it so far. Is there more to your
> concern than you have said so far?

No it is not. What happens when you let somebody access your account for
a few minutes? Basil, before you answer this one with a cookie cutter
answer about "you should never do that", check what MOST PEOPLE DO. It
happens. More than you think.

> If you feel that you want to discuss this privately and not in this
> public mail list then please do not hesitate to send me a private
> message and I will be glad to help you.

I think everybody learns if we discuss this here. Maybe you too, Basil. :)

Gilles