Thunderbird does not ask for password when sending second mail !!!

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 13 06:30:10 UTC 2012

On 13/07/12 15:44, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 07/12/2012 04:07 AM, Gilles Gravier wrote:

[.............]

>> Think "sudo" when you use "sudo" you get prompted for a password. If you
>> use sudo immediately after, no need to re-enter a password. If you wait
>> a few minutes, you are prompted again for your password. Sudo is a
>> dangerous command that somebody using your session should not be able to
>> re-use if you used it before giving them access. Same goes for sending
>> e-mail (in some contexts as explained above).
> If you never ticked the "remember password" box, it would ask you each
> time. I just checked, it ought to be somewhere in
> .thunderbird/<userprofile> prefs.js
> I didn't find it there, but I would hazard a guess that a closer
> inspection should find it. Ric

Absolutely correct - but I didn't want to bring this up when responding
to Jatin.

Thunderbird asks you the *first* time you use it if you want to it to
remember the password. If you answer "NO" then you have to keep entering
your password each and every time you want to collect your messages or
send them. A total and absolute mind-boggling waste of time.

For Firefox the situation re password(s) is different - at least as far
as connecting to your *ISP* because you enter your password for your ISP
in your MODEM. Whenever you start Firefox and it goes to connect to your
ISP it automatically sends the password -- and with no connection to
your ISP you have no Thunderbird to collect/send mail and no browser.

However, when you use some website which requires a password for you to
access it then Firefox will ask if you want it to remember this
password. You also have the option of also using an additional MASTER
password (this is set in the Preferences) which is an added security
measure - but is also a bit of a pain in the butt because you need to
enter this Master password each time you go to any site which requires
you to enter a password to gain access to it (lets' say, a bank or,
better still, a porn site 8-) ).

(I'll stop here before I go blind! :-D .)

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.8.4 & kernel 3.4.4.2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor