doubling USB input port

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Tue Jul 10 08:08:30 UTC 2012

On 10-07-12 01:51, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/09/2012 03:10 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:

> Clicking on the device icon in VMWare Status Bar to disconnect/connect
> isn't what you are looking for? Are you instead looking to do this via
> software? Maybe this will be of use:
> <http://www.vmware.com/support/ws45/doc/devices_usb_ws.html>
>
> As for VirtualBox, the last time I tried with USB's, I ended up having
> to plug and unplug the device to get it to switch. That's primarily why
> I switched to VMWare.

Gary,Thanks for your quick reply but the problem is that either the host
or VMware controls the device. Of course I can manual switch by clicking
on the device icon in the VMware lower panel but to do that every minute
is a little too much. I would like to have either a switch (e.g. a
program running in the XP guest that connects on request and disconnect
when application reading the device signs off) or a process in the host
(i.e. Ubuntu) that 'clones' the USB-device, something like in the
network configuration where the same MAC-address can service several
network ports (e.g. eth0:0 and eth0:1) and both an have a different
IP-address.
Joep