BUMP Re: Cannot install 12.04 alternates

David Brown davb1972 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 6 23:41:51 UTC 2012

Help?

________________________________
 From: David Brown <davb1972 at yahoo.com>
To: "ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2012 7:30 PM
Subject: Cannot install 12.04 alternates

I've been trying for quite some time to install 12.04 from the alternates .iso file.

The MD5 file seems to be right:
$ md5 < ubuntu-12.04-alternate-i386.iso
bcee4c03b704a9b62988505b7d8f3069

The problems manifest themselves in various ways:
- using the Live Linux USB creator, it fails to recognise the ISO file (it had no problem with the 12.04 beta)
- when LiLu does create a booting USB stick, it fails to work as the installer cannot find the ISO image (from memory that's the problem). Trying to manually mount it and other tricks fail to allow the install to progress.
- if I use another USB program, such as the Universal USB installer (1.9.0.2), it creates a bootable USB stick, but the USB stick does not launch the installer (it just beeps when I press enter on "Install")

So why am I using alternates and not any other installer?

Because alternates is the only installer that allows me to do the entire install with an encrypted filesystem for everything except what's needed for boot strap.

Separately, I've been able to use the downloaded ISO image to create an installed image inside a VMWare guest (I use the .iso file as a virtual CD-ROM drive), so I have confidence that what I've downloaded is right.

I've also tried to burn a CD and boot using a USB connected CD-ROM drive but to no avail - the laptop refused to boot the CD-ROM.

The target machine is an Acer Aspire One.

Finally, let me say that I was able to install the 12.04 beta without any trouble. My only problem is that I've deleted the 12.04 alternates .iso file..

Help?