[Hijacked "Can't log into Ubuntu"] Re: remaster ubuntu alternate

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 5 18:20:18 UTC 2012

On 07/05/2012 02:05 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 5 July 2012 17:21, Dave Woyciesjes <woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>          Easy fix. Install & configure a proper standards-following MUA like
>> Thunderbird, Evolution, or Pine.
>>          Every web-based MUA I've seen is crap.
>
> OK, sure. Can you tell me one that runs on 32-bit Linux, 64-bit Linux,
> MacOS 10.4 and 10.5, Windows XP, Windows 7, Symbian, Android, iOS and
> Acorn RISC OS, and can instantaneously synchronise my 7GB of mail and
> 100+ filtering rules and 80+ folders, between all of them with no
> configuration?

	Do all of the MUAs on those devices use IMAP? Then yes. You would be
good to go. Keep your mail, folders & rules running on GMail.
	Like I do. Works a treat.

> Thanks.
>
> Those are all the platforms I have accessed Gmail from so far in 2012,
> but I've been using it for 8 years now and I never delete email, so
> there are probably more and definitely will be in future. By the way,
> some of my 5 accounts use IMAP and some POP3, so it needs to handle
> both.

	So, am I correct in guessing that you have GMail configured to fetch
your POP email? If so, good.

> SMTP servers are not always available and I don't know what
> network I might be connected to.

	As long as you have internet access, you can use the GMail SMTP servers.

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=78799

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818