Wubi installer vs live CD

Tim Frost timfrost at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jul 4 08:15:24 UTC 2012

Nick,

On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 14:14 +0900, Nick Bikkal wrote:
> I have a question about the quality of installation. I installed Ubuntu
> 12.04 using wubi installer, through Windows XP. Many people suggested
> using a live CD. Is there any difference installing it one way or
> another?
There is a big difference:

wubi installs Ubuntu (or any other supported distribution) as a Windows
application - see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide/ for more
information about wubi

booting from an Ubuntu CD (live or alternate) will allow you to
re-partition the disk, and install the linux distribution in its own
partition.

> I now have an option - here in Japan - to get a live CD to get
> a live CD by getting a magazine. I'm going to suppose it's a standard
> Ubuntu installation in which I can choose English in the first screen.
>
> Any suggestions or recommendations?

You need to make your own decision:
- wubi lets you run windows and fire up Ubuntu as a windows app
- installation from a CD means you have to reboot every time you want to
switch OS

There is a third option, which is to install VMware, virtualbox or any
other suppported virtualisation software in your main OS, and install
the other OS in a virtual machine.  This allows you to run your
preferred OS, but fire up the other as required, without dual-booting,
but with the level of OS isolation that is provided by the
virtualisation product.  There are constraints with this for 64-bit
operating systems, because
* some CPUS don't support virtualisation of a 64-bit OS
* most (all?) software won't support a 64-bit guest in a 32-bit host

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Nick
>
> Sent from Windows XP on Duo Core

I run Ubuntu, and use VMware Workstation when I need/want to run any
other OS (linux or windows)

Hope this helps

Tim

--