Linux freezes in Acer aspire one

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 21:55:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 1:39 PM, HaPK <hapk02 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently bought an Acer aspire one 720 for my mom. the people who sold
> it to me installed Windows 7 on a partition and left some free space so
> that I could install some other distro on it.
>
> I tried several different distros (mint, fedora, zorin, archbang, and
> ultimately ubuntu) and they all worked fine on their live versions. lastly
> decided to install Linux mint with KDE, so that I'd try the netbook plasma
> interface on that small 11.6 inch screen. initially it worked fine, but
> then the updates made gtk based applications to look bad and I couldn't
> make it look fine again; also the desktop lacks some important interaction
> and accessibility features.
>
> So I decided to install ubuntu in it. once I tried installing ubuntu,
> after  the partitioning table step, the installer popped up an error saying
> that it would be impossible to install and that this was caused by a faulty
> CD or DVD medium. Obviously I was installing from a pen drive so I found
> this error message to be weird. Anyway, I went to wipe the pen drive and
> reinstall the distros on it, I use multi system, and tried this time.
>
> When the live CD loaded it looked fine, but when I connected to the
> wireless network the computer froze. I tried a second time and it was the
> same thing, it froze right when trying to connect to the network.

I cannot find that exact model Acer (are you sure it's a model "720"?) but
apparently some of the Acer models use the ath9k driver and some freeze
under certain conditions. You listed some specific distros that did and
didn't work, but the other distros may use a different version of the
driver. (Could be newer OR older.)

Here is one of several results from a Google search.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/38043/system-freeze-caused-by-ath9k-driver

You might want to check to find the EXACT model information of your laptop
and search for it. There may be some more up-to-date recommendations and
workarounds.