Help with lost GUI in Ubuntu 11.10

Peter Hillier-Brook phb at hbsys.plus.com
Sun Jan 29 16:04:31 UTC 2012

On 29/01/12 10:18, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
>
>> I recently lost the GUI after an update, apparently related to
>> missing nvidia support in the kernel. Does this ring any bells and,
>> if so has anyone any helpful suggestions?
>
> When you say 'lost the GUI', what precisely do you mean? Do you see no
> part of the graphical environment at all, or does it start up and then
> break with an error message, for example?

Thanks for replying. I see no graphical interface at all: the last thing
before a login prompt is a message that Plymouth has been stopped
(paraphrase) and the relevant logs - kern.log, Xorg.log.0 and others I
have forgotten - claim that there is no support in the kernel for nvidia.

Until I updated from 3.0.0-14 to 3.0.0-15 I had no problems. If the log
content is pertinent I will be happy to collect it, but given that I'm
in the "unhappy with Unity" gang, I'm not far from a re-installation
with Lubuntu with which I'm very happy on other machines. :-)

Peter HB