Help with lost GUI in Ubuntu 11.10

Peter Hillier-Brook phb at hbsys.plus.com
Sat Jan 28 15:09:36 UTC 2012

I recently lost the GUI after an update, apparently related to missing
nvidia support in the kernel. Does this ring any bells and, if so has
anyone any helpful suggestions?

For information, I boot from a disk holding GRUB and Kubuntu which works
fine, but a second disk with Ubuntu is the failing one. Both systems are
updated daily and are in sync with each other as far as common files are
concerned, although I rely on osprober on the Kubuntu disk to find
Ubuntu, rather than chain-loading. Naturally I run update-grub on the
Kubuntu disk after any changes to the Ubuntu system and this environment
has been error free until Ubuntu was upgraded to kernel 3.0.0-15-generic.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Peter HB