gnome "Network Connections" woes

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 01:31:42 UTC 2012

I've had this happen before and don't recall how to get out of it.

I am in Gnome and opened the "Network Connections" window, and I don't
have the "root" commands showing.  I hover over some buttons and it
say "Authenticate to Edit" for example for the Edit button.  But
damned if I have any means presented to me to force an authentication

Last time I recall this happening I just found the name of the running
process and just started it manually on the command line with sudo -
so I ran it as root and that worked.

But damned if I can find the name of the running process right now!

How do I get it to let me authenticate?
Or how do I run this from the command line?

Note I don't want to know how to edit files manually from the command
line.  Not interested in that.  I want to run the GUI from the command
line so I can run it from sudo as root.

Been googling for 20 minutes and nothing is coming up.