Backing up files on a badly malware infested computer.

Bill Stanley bstanle at wowway.com
Fri Jan 27 04:18:48 UTC 2012

Problem solved!

I wish to thank all if you for the good advice you gave.  The warnings
about reinfection were already known to me and I did install AVAST which
I downloaded to a second computer for installation.  I was not about to
let a computer out on the Internet even if I went straight to an
anti-virus site. I did this even before I visited Windows update.  The
two files turned out to be two whole directories.  Maybe a rootkit was
hiding stuff there.

The first time, when I tried using Linux (Nautilus) to nuke them I was
unsuccessful.  Maybe it was something about Nautilus or how I used it.
The second time I followed your advice and used a the console and the
"sudo rm-r" command.  Maybe it was because I was not executing the
command as superuser.  The important thing is files (directories) are
gone for good and hopefully my sister will have a stable computer again!
  And yes, I am going to tell her to avoid Adobe like the plague.  Her
computer might not be state of the art but it still is still good.

Bill Stanley