How do I execute a .run file in Linux Mint 11?

Pongo A. Pan pongo_pan at fastmail.us
Tue Jan 24 01:46:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-01-23 at 17:26 -0500, jimmckenzie at earthlink.net wrote:
> GNU EMACS 23 shows me the script and that's it.
>
> How do I actually use the file.
>
> I'm trying to install the latest Nvidia drivers (Version 290.10) for my GeForce GT 430. I can't find anything online about it. Everything is about older Distro's, not one thing about Mint 11 or Ubuntu for that matter.
>

> Any / all help will be appreciated.

You can't do this with the GUI running, so: open a virtual console with
ctrl-alt-F2, log in as your normal user.

You have to do all of this as root so: sudo -i

Move or copy the .run file to root's home (/root): cp -v
<path-to-runfile/>NV....run /root

Kill lightdm (the GUI) with: service lightdm stop

You have to make the .run file executable so: chmod +x NV.....run

Now say: ./NV....run   The "./" means look in the current directory for
the file to run.

Last say: update-initramfs -u  (This isn't always needed but does no
harm)

Finally, reboot the computer with: shutdown -r now

Did the Mint version of Jockey (Additonal Drivers) not work for you?
This method works but is rarely needed for Mint, since the Additional
Drivers thingo works very well.

--
pongo pan
Mon, 23 Jan 2012 17:45:00 -0800