[Resolved] Re: video problems in Ubuntu

Douglas Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 24 00:49:16 UTC 2012

On 01/21/2012 09:25 AM, Douglas Pollard wrote:
> On 01/20/2012 10:19 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 21/01/12 13:41, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

>>> I checked Synaptic, and I saw that in Ubuntu 11.10, the latest
>>> memtest86+ version is installed.
>>

>> Aha, that's good.
>>
>> Only hassle is: Doug is using Ubuntu 11.04...... :-) .
>>
>> BC
>>
>    I really don't think there is anything wrong with the memory as
> system monitor says my computer is using 100 percent of the memory the
> whole time.  The swap file in the beginning only has about 3% data in
> it and it slowly increases to 50% and finally after about 1 hour of
> file rendering gets up to 100%.   Such a small amount of swap space it
> fills up quick. For now I will follow No0p's suggestion and add more
> memory then I will use Gparted to to increase the swapfile from 885mb
> to about 4 gig.  The video I am working with is black and white and if
> it were full color I would likely need 4g of memory and 4 g of swap
> space or more to render.  Most of the color video I have done has only
> been 15 minutes long or less so the swap never gets big enough to
> cause a problem.   I will install 4gig with the idea I will at some
> point need all of it.
>
> Thanks all, for helping. I'll let you know how this works out.    Doug

    I bought a 2 g memory card. My computer can't use it, I gig only, so
I have one gig of memory that I will put in my shop computer. I could
return it but it was only $19.99 and my shop box will likely benefit
from it.   I attempted to increase swap space and screwed up and
repartitioned the drive so I lost Ubuntu  11.04.  I am working on the
video in 10.4 and It works well.  I now have a 2.5 swap file where I
only had 875mb before.  I am using 80 to 100% of cpu.  I am using 12 to
15% pf the now larger swap file.  I have all the music and some sound
effectes in the video It sounds and looks great. Open Shot now seems to
have it's hands full and has been getting a little bit flaky. I moved
the Video to Cinelerra.  I am now rendering to have a dvd copy just in
case I need  the safe copy.
     The old fella that was going to narrate it in German for me had to
give it up.   His daughter said it brought back to many old memories and
he broke down in tears several times.  She felt it was just too much. I
am In the middle of a Mennonite community and most are German. They are
very interested in the video so they are looking for someone to help
me.    Any way I am plugging away. As soon as I get something
presentable i'll put it on line for some people to view . I will give
you guys a link.  Ill post a link.              Doug