I'm getting acroread instead of evince even though it says it's going to use evince

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Mon Jan 23 16:11:08 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 08:35:14AM -0600, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> On 01/23/2012 05:57 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

> >>I've turned the plugin off,
> >
> >Ah. I think you had not mentioned that before?
> >
> >>for two reasons, firstly I prefer the PDF to
> >>appear in a separate window
> >
> >That seems odd to me, but OK.
> >
> >>and secondly it quite often doesn't work and
> >>simply produces a blank (often black) window in Firefox.
> >
> >That seems strange and might suggest that you have a separate problem.
>
> I see this on a regular basis.  I could usually view 1 or2 pdf's and
> then I would get the black screen.  Restarting Firefox would allow
> me to view another couple but then the black screen again. After a
> lot of googling and finding no good answers my solution was the same
> as the OP's.

I hadn't diagnosed it as far as you in that I hadn't noticed that
restarting Firefox fixed the problem (temporarily).

However I really prefer to get the PDF in a separate window because,
among other things, nearly all PDF files are portrait mode and A4'ish
sort of proportions and that really doesn't fit well in my Firefox
window.  With it in a separate window I can slip it off to the side and
keep it in view while searching around for other stuff in Firefox.

--
Chris Green