I'm getting acroread instead of evince even though it says it's going to use evince

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 19:42:07 UTC 2012

On 22 January 2012 15:50, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> When I click on a .pdf file in a web page Firefox tells me it's loading
> it and beside the selected 'Open with' button it says "/usr/bin/evince
> (default)" but if I then click the OK button the file gets opened in
> acroread.
>
> /usr/bin/evince is installed and works perfectly OK.
>
> How do I get Firefox to use evince?

Are pages opening inside Firefox or is it spawning a new separate process?

Adobe Reader has a plugin; Evince doesn't. If Acroread is installed,
Firefox will use the plugin rather than an external program - *I
believe.*

If you disable or remove the plugin, then it will be down to 2
external programs and the mechanism of choosing which, or setting the
default, should work.

Or, install Mozplugger, which turns Evince into a plugin too.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884