video problems in Ubuntu

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 19 23:05:21 UTC 2012

On 20/01/12 09:50, Douglas Pollard wrote:
> On 01/19/2012 04:10 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> On 01/19/2012 10:57 AM, NoOp wrote:
>>> OK. In Openshot I loaded up the 466.6MB AVI and I added a sound track;
>>> I'm am exporting to DV NTSC now. I can see in 'top' and the cpu monitor
>>> that the export is taking 75-95% of my CPU (2.4Ghz single core). I see
>>> the temp of my processor going from 40C to 51C... ooops now at 52C. I
>>> have set my temp sensors to alarm at 70C&  could probably wait to
>>> see if
>>> it gets that high... however I'll kill the process if the temp gets
>>> to 58C.
>>>
>>> I very much suspect that you are getting a thermal shutdown. Many BIOS'
>>> will have a crash log&  a thermal shutdown will show there. A thermal
>>> shutdown won't show in the OS logs, so check your BIOS logs.
>>>
>>> Were I you, I'd install temprature sensors&  watch the temp of your CPU
>>> when exporting. You can also try setting the process to a 'nice' value
>>> or 10 or 15 so that it takes less processor priority. You can do that
>>> from the System Monitor applet, or from the command line:
>>> http://www.nixtutor.com/linux/changing-priority-on-linux-processes/
>> Export just finished&  results in a 1.4 GB (1527549952 bytes) mpeg video
>> file:
>>
>> $ ls BerlinProject.dvd -al
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 gg gg 1527549952 2012-01-19 12:58 BerlinProject.dvd
>> $ file BerlinProject.dvd
>> BerlinProject.dvd: MPEG sequence, v2, program multiplex
>>
>> Again Douglas, I suspect that you are experiencing a thermal shutdown.
>>
>> Yes I think you are absolutly right.
>>

>    I've been setting up sensors and messed that up, so am now starting
> over.  I set up nice to 10 instead of -0.  I messed with some fan
> speed stuff in Bios and temperature limits but none of that seems to
> amounted to anything so I put everything back. I don't want to many
> things set wrong.  I vacuumed out the computer then blew it out with
> an air hose but still crashing. If I get the sensors working I may
> know then whether its heat or not.  It sure seems that it is. I'll
> work at it some and let you know what I find.  Doug

Go here

www.memtest.org

and download the latest version (4.20) of memtest86, burn it to CD and
reboot with the CD in place. The test will show if your RAM is OK or
faulty. If you pass Test #5 (in around 15 minutes, depeonding on the
speed of your CPU and RAM) then you probably have no RAM problems. But
allow the test to finish all the tests (until it finishes Pass 1 at
least, and if you want to be really, really, sure then allow it run
overnight).

Once this variable has been put to rest you can go with the search for
the cause of your hassle.

BC

--
It is in the nature of things that every time you try to avoid one danger you run into another.
                            Niccolo Machiavelli